Fate Accelerated: The Grey Mouser



I've been tinkering with the draft of Fate Accelerated Edition, the rules-light version of Evil Hat Publishing's upcoming Fate Core game, and thought I'd post this FAE version of Fritz Leiber's Grey Mouser for comment. It's based on my 2010 write-up of the Mouser for Barbarians of Lemuria, although I've opted for the Mouser of "Jewels in the Forest" (the first published Nehwon story) instead of the "Ill Met in Lankhmar" version I used before.

The Grey Mouser

High Concept: Rogue of All Trades
Trouble: Curiosity Killed the Cat
Aspects: Bromancing the Stone with Fafhrd, Failed Wizard's Apprentice, Surgeon with a Blade

Approaches:

Quick +3
Clever, Sneaky +2
Careful, Flashy +1
Forceful +0

I'm holding off on generating some stunts for the Mouser because I still don't fully grok them, even with the streamlined FAE rules. I do think that at least one stunt should handle the Mouser's noted ability with a sling while another might deal with the statement in "Jewels" that Mouser is an expert forger of documents and objects. With a Refresh of 3, the Mouser technically gets a third stunt, but I'm not sure what that could be.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the way that FAE cuts to the chase. The approaches (how the character gets things done) are a nice alternative to skills, and I like the system's relegation of magic to little more than an aspect. Any changes that need making here?

Comments

  1. What about Mouser's proclivity for magic. I think He has that, right? Been a while since I have read those books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that "Failed Wizard's Apprentice" covered that. It gives him the occasional access to a spell and allows for his knowledge of esoteric lore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I missing something? Is there more to the FAE somewhere? Or just what is in the post you linked to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean, "more to the character than that"? If so, then the Mouser is lacking up to three stunts. Otherwise, he's a complete FAE character. If it's the rules you mean, those are currently only available for backers of the Fate Core Kickstarter and folks at their tables. (For, it's my understanding, a fairly loose definition of "table".)

      Delete
    2. I was referring to the rules. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  4. @Narmer

    Since you asked about the rules! They've been released now and are available: here's the official website for FAE and Fate Core.

    http://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-core-downloads/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts